Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Drop Down my Cheek - I

Date: 17th August 2009. Time: Around 6 pm

It’s a cool Friday evening and I am sitting in the balcony of my second floor room S-36 in Jawahar Bhawan. This room is perhaps quite envied by my friends for its perfect location for abundant sunlight in the balcony, excellent wireless connectivity and close to both the staircase and the loo, all ingredients of a good room. But today, the small typically hot room, seems as a cosy hillside lodging in Mussorie. Because as a sudden but pleasant change, the atmosphere has become cool and the sky is expansively dark and behold the eternal blessing... rain.

As the sky pours down profusely, I witness Mother Nature burgeoning herself into a completely new cosmos seething with life and vigor. The grass looks greener and so do the slender leaves of single row of trees surrounding our wing on the left. Numerous tiny puddles form on the surface of the earth, filling up with water and then suddenly overflowing to form a small avalanche of muddy water. All around me, It’s all so quiet, peaceful and lazy and yet so intricately filled with activity and spirit. It feels so queer that the noise of water gushing through open hose pipe ends fixed at the terrace of our hostel is a perfect lullaby to the ears and the soul. And though a raging wind is absent, but occasionally a whiff of cold air maneuvers past my silhouette caressing my face, leaving me with a divine satisfaction.

When I step forward towards the anvil of my balcony, an uncertain droplet abruptly lands on my left cheek. I try instinctively to feel the tiny bulge, but the shy droplet smoothly glides down and melts away into ignominy. Doing so it completes its circle of existence and embarks on a new journey in an unknown land; the show goes on. The sky is enormous and looks like a canvas painted in grey and white all dynamic and lovely. And sitting amongst and enjoying all the mesmerizing acts of the Creator, am I, the solitary thinker, marveling at this mysterious and exquisite phenomenon.

No comments:

Post a Comment